
Blueberries! I can't seem to go to the store without picking up a pint. Yesterday I came home with not one, not two but THREE pints of fresh blueberries. Garrett thought I had lost my mind. But when I told him they were buy 1, get 2 free at QFC, his mind was put at ease. I mean you can't pass up a deal like that - 3 pints for $3.99!! Needless to say we have been enjoying fresh blueberries in our cereal every morning and Garrett made some delicious blueberry pancakes last weekend. Who knows maybe I'll even whip up a blueberry crisp or some blueberry muffins... we'll see!
I found some fun blueberry facts that I didn't know, so I thought I'd share:
- Don't wash berries until just before using to prevent berries from becoming mushy. {opps, learned something new here..}
- Blueberries are ranked No. 1 in antioxidant activity compared with 40 other commercially available fruits and vegetables. That means a serving of blueberries has more of the antioxidant power you need to fight aging, cancer and heart disease. {yeah!!}
- If refrigerated, fresh-picked blueberries will keep 10 to 14 days.
- Maine produces about 25% of all the blueberries grown in North America and is the largest producer of wild blueberries in the world.
PS - man, is it only Tuesday?!


4 comments:
I've been on a blueberry kick lately too, actually. Have you ever eaten them frozen?! My new favorite thing is keeping a tupperware container of them in the freezer and just pulling out a few to eat by themselves for a snack! YUM! Plus, they last much longer that way. :-)
I have to say...I've never had FRESH blueberries before. I'll have to try them in pancakes one morning.
Too funny, I have been loving the blueberries too. I made Blueberry-Banana bread and we've been doing a lot of banana-blueberry smoothies!
I love blueberries! I also love putting them in my pancakes! I love the picture!
Post a Comment